Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I have comfrey! I'm so excited!

The Legendary Herb of Life

High in protein: 22-33%. High in vitamin A, C and B-12. Rich in silicon, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, iodine and more. Very high food value for animals. Used as a folk remedy for centuries. Known as boneset and knitbone.

Comfrey can be used as compost material for organic gardens. It is very deep rooted so it mines many nutrients from the soil. The fast growing leaves contain these nutrients. When you cut the leaves, they quickly break down to a thick, black, fertile liquid great for your garden.

Rudolf Steiner, father of Biodynamic Agriculture, lists these 7 plants as being very important on a farm: comfrey, stinging nettle, yarrow, chamomile, horsetail, dandelion and valerian. Others have added burdock to the list.

Comfrey is used in Permaculture as a way to have ecological, sustainable farming systems that benefit the land and people.

From Nantahala Farms

More about comfrey here and here.

I'm super stoked about comfrey. It is an amazing herb. I've used it to help heal Rob's cracked rib and broken sternum. I have used it to heal the bloody callouses on Sadie' s elbows. I've used it to heal a boil on my own belly.

I decided to order some crowns yesterday off the Web. I was telling my neighbor about my plans and he was so cool and kind to share his radical plants with me. I was able to get NINE crowns! Here are a couple of them:

I went and loaded up another 15 or so chunks of concrete from the lady up the road and built a round raised bed to plant these special green babies.

Five went in here and four went into a smaller bed in another corner of the former dog run. I'm grateful for Neighbor Tom for his generosity in sharing this incredible plant with me!

I'll post some pics when they grow up.

No comments: